Dr. Renard Siew is a Climate Change Advisor with the Centre for Governance and Political Studies. He is also part of the World Economic Forum Expert Network Group focusing on Sustainable Development in Asia.
He was involved in implementing the environmental agenda for Sime Darby, a multinational conglomerate based in Kuala Lumpur with operations across key growth industry sectors including Plantation, Property, Industrial, Motors, Energy and Utilities as well as Healthcare. Prior to this, he was a postdoctoral fellow with the Centre for Energy and Environmental Markets (CEEM). He continues to serve as a Stakeholder Council Member for the Global Infrastructure Basel (GIB) Foundation, a Global Advisory Board Member of Economists Without Borders (EWB) and is the Curator (Head) of Global Shapers Kuala Lumpur, a not-for-profit organization focusing on creating sustainable impacts in Malaysia.
He actively participates and contributes in various stakeholder platforms including the ‘Water for Growth’ initiative and the Integrated Urban Water Management (IUWM) task force seeking to develop a National Level Water Transformation Roadmap for Malaysia. He is a Climate Reality Leader trained by Al-Gore, former Vice President of the USA in Pittsburgh. Renard is a graduate of the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and Cambridge University.
PhD, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney Australia
Climate change and sustainability
Green Building/Infrastructure rating tools (i.e. LEED, BREEAM, Green Star)
Organisational Decision Making/ Sustainable Business Modelling
Sustainability supply chain/ Collaboration in construction ecosystems
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) research
1. Siew, R.Y.J. (2020), Climate-related Financial Disclosure in the Property and Construction
Sector, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers- Engineering Sustainability (in press)
2. Siew, R.Y. J. (2019), Are We Ready for Circular Economy? Towards Zero Waste in
Construction, Sustainable Buildings, Vol. 4, p.2
3. Siew, R.Y.J. (2019), Case Study: Measuring Sustainability in a Malaysian Property and
Construction Company, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Engineering
Sustainability, Vol. 173, No. 4, pp. 163-173.
4. Siew, R.Y.J., (2018), Financing Options for Energy Efficient Retrofit Projects-A Malaysian
Perception, Malaysian Construction Research Journal, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 97-111.
5. Siew, R. Y. J. (2016), Assessing the Readiness of Sustainability Reporting Tools (SRTs) for an
Age-Friendly Built Environment, Journal of Financial Management of Property and
Construction, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 122-136.
6. Siew, R. Y. J., Balatbat, M.C.A. and Carmichael, D. G. (2016), The Impact of ESG Disclosures
and Institutional Ownership on Market Information Asymmetry, Asia- Pacific Journal of
Accounting & Economics, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 432-448.
7. Siew. R. Y. J., Balatbat, M.C.A., Carmichael, D. G. (2016), A Proposed Framework for Assessing
the Sustainability of Infrastructure, International Journal of Construction Management Vol. 16,
No. 4, pp. 281-298.
8. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), Health and Safety Communication Strategy in a Malaysian Construction
Company: A Case Study, International Journal of Construction Management, Vol.
9. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), A Review of Corporate Sustainability Reporting Tools (SRTs), Journal of
Environmental Management, Vol. 164, pp. 180-195.
10. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), Predicting the Behaviour of Australian ESG REITs using Markov Chain
Analysis, Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.
11. Siew, R.Y. J. (2015), Case Study of an Australian Residential College Design, Journal of
Facilities Management, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 391-398.
12. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), Australian Construction Response to Sustainability ‘Megaforces’,
Proceedings of the ICE –Engineering Sustainability, Vol. 168, No. 6, pp. 230-244.
13. Siew, R. Y. J., Balatbat, M.C.A. and Carmichael, D. G. (2015), Measuring Project Sustainability
Maturity Level: A Fuzzy-Based Approach, International Journal of Sustainable Development,
Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 76-100.
14. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), Integrating Sustainability into Construction Project Portfolio Management,
KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 101-108.
15. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), Briefing: Integrated Reporting-Challenges in the Construction Industry,
Proceedings of the ICE- Engineering Sustainability, Vol. 168, No. 1, pp. 3-6.
16. Siew, R. Y. J. (2015), An Alternative Framework for Green Building Fund (GBF), Building
Research and Information, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp.160-169.
17. Siew, R. Y. J. (2014), Human Resource Management in the Construction Industry- Sustainability
competencies, Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.
18. Siew, R. Y. J. (2014), A Review of Sustainability Reporting Tools (SRTs) for Communities,
International Journal of Sustainable Construction Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp.
19. Siew, R. Y. J., Balatbat, M. C. A., Carmichael, D.G., (2013), The Relationship Between
Sustainability Practices and Financial Performance of Construction Companies, Smart and
Sustainable Built Environment, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 6-27.
20. Siew, R.Y. J., Balatbat, M. C. A., and Carmichael, D.G., (2013), A Review of Building/
Infrastructure Sustainability Reporting Tools (SRTs), Smart and Sustainable Built Environment,
Vol.2, No. 2, pp. 106-139. (Received Highly Commended Paper Award from Emerald
21. Siew, R. Y. J. and Bernold, L. (2013), The Use of Engineering Sketching and Journaling to Foster
Deep Understanding of Construction: An Exploratory Study, Australasian Journal of
Construction Economics and Building, Vol. 1. No. 1, pp. 31-46.
22. Siew, R. Y. J. and al-Kilidar, H. (2010), An Exploratory Study of Configurations and Practices of
Publicly-Listed Australian and Malaysian Construction Firms, International Journal of
Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol.10, No.1, pp 385-402.